I can’t begin this post without addressing the symbolism of September 11. Isn’t it crazy how a certain event in life can make you remember exactly where you were, what you were doing and how you felt? It’s as if time stopped for a second. The United States came together as a nation and put aside our differences and prejudices and just FELT. On that day 12 years ago, we were one in the same. My hope for this country moving forward is that we continue to remember that feeling: the oneness, the unity and most importantly, our freedom.
Moving along to a less somber topic… The reasons I love working out in the morning!
Many of you commented on yesterday’s post about overcoming morning crankiness and said that your morning workout sets the tone for the day. I completely agree! Here are some of the reasons I love working out in the morning:
- The feeling– Nothing compares to waking up before the sun. The morning dew still on the car. The quietness, the stillness. The feeling that you are making yourself better while most people are still asleep.
- And also the “Wait, am I really at the gym?” feeling – I start waking up about 15 minutes into my morning workout. By that time, I’ve already tricked my body into going to the gym. It doesn’t have time to sit there and tell me no. I’m there. I’m doing it. Then I start to push harder because I’m proud of myself for sacrificing my precious beauty sleep 😉
- Sets the tone– I don’t know about you but I am MUCH more productive when I start the day with a workout. My endorphins kick into high gear and I’m pretty much bouncing off the walls afterward. There’s no shaking the smile on my face!
- Breakfast– Is it just me or does breakfast taste even better after a workout?
- Group exercise– This morning I went to a spinning class at 5:45. Let me just say that the people in this class were more energetic than ANY group exercise class I’ve ever been to. We were all singing Blurred Lines by 6 a.m. (and of course making fun of the Robin Thicke/Miley Cyrus VMA performance). It was obvious this class was full of regulars but all of us newbies fit right in. I might have to make this a weekly routine!
- It’s done– It’s over with! No more workout for the rest of the day! What a great feeling. When I workout in the morning I don’t have to worry about the crowd after work, waiting in line for machines, or if I’m going to have enough energy to complete a workout after work. I’m free to do whatever I please for the rest of the day 🙂
What do you love most about working out in the morning? What time of day do you prefer to work out? Also, do you eat before your morning workouts?
[Of Possible Interest:]