Today is “band” day at my internship. While most are keeping it classic with AC/DC and The Beatles t-shirts, you know I had to embrace my inner gangster and kick it old school.
Anyone remember these guys? I’m a HUGE fan of old-school hip hop (not so much the crap that comes out today) and Run DMC has always been one of my favorites! I’m pretty much obsessed with them, Ying Yang Twins (shake it like a salt shaka), Lil Jon and the Eastside Boys (I bet you won’t get crunk!), Nelly (so hot in HURR), old school Lil Wayne (Tha Carter 1-5), Eminem, Vanilla Ice, LL Cool J…. the list goes on and on.
If it involves rap and the potential to shake my booty (and/or
sing rap along), I probably love it. Most of my gym playlists include the artists listed above. Don’t be surprised if you catch me shakin’ it in the gym 😉
In food news, last night I made the most delicious dinner so obviously I had to share with all my peepz:
- Chicken breast
- Brussel Sprouts
- Add 1 cup dry quinoa and 2 cups water to a pot. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium/low and let simmer until all water is absorbed, so about 15-20 minutes. Remove from burner and let it sit for 5 minutes (still covered). Fluff it up a bit and it’s done!
- Sprinkle 1/2 lb. chicken breast with whatever spices your little heart desires (I just used garlic salt) and cook in a pan
- When chicken is almost done, add zucchini and squash. Stir frequently to make sure all vegetables cook evenly
- Steam brussel sprouts either stove top or in the microwave. You may also roast them if you have more time, so delicious!
- Add 1/2 cup cooked quinoa, 4 oz chicken (half of what you made) and veggies to a bowl.
- Top with 1 tbsp. pesto and avocado, and enjoy!
What are your favorite old school jams?! What “band” t-shirt would you wear to work?
[Of Possible Interest:]
Top 50 Old School Hip Hop Workout Songs
Skinny Chicken Pesto Bake via SkinnyTaste <– Madly in love with all of her recipes
Learn to Cook: Simple Pesto Recipe via Whole Foods <– Speaking of Whole Foods, did anyone read this article from Huffington Post? I was laughing SO hard!